Window Film Ideas – What Type to Choose?
Choosing the right type of window film for your commercial business provides a non-expensive approach to solving solar challenges from the Sun, including temperate and Sun-glare control, safety, security, compliance, privacy, climate responsibility and energy cost-savings.
Upgrading windows without replacing them makes good common sense - it helps maximise budgets, often set-aside for business growth, marketing and staff salaries and provides a variety of benefits to staff, retail customers and the condition of office furniture, including:
- Building security – ideal for deterring commercial theft and break-ins, especially during the winter months
- Office and workspace privacy – offering one way (inside to outside only) or two way (inside and outside) views
- Maintaining stable-temperature working environments - long periods working in overly-heated rooms can cause nausea and dizziness
- Bomb-blast protection film – with high crime rates and IT systems that need protecting, anti-shatter film is a safe solution that absorbs blast energy and protects humans
- Health & safety compliance - Workplace Health Safety and Welfare Regulations (14) states that existing glass has to be made safe
- Energy cost-savings – offering up-to 30% heating, ventilation and air-conditioning (AC) savings
- Climate responsibility and governance – window film has a “net-zero” carbon footprint, meeting climate sustainability requirements
- Prolongs office furniture, carpets and upholstery lifecycle – anti-glare and heat-resistant film rejects up-to 99% of ultra-violet (UV) rays
- Helps protect staff and students - protects eyesight from sun-glare on screens and prevents headaches
Our ‘virtually clear’ solar film reduces heat gain by 45% and UV (ultra-violet) fading by 99% and is effective for use on retail storefronts, shopfronts and commercial receptions as well as many other commercial establishments, because it doesn’t alter the appearance of the windows from outside or inside and provides two-way viewing.
Many inferior film products may have the micro-thin metal layer applied in such a way that it might peel away, or the thickness or quality of the metal coating might be unsuitable for your security, safety or privacy requirements. Window film can be coated with a variety of micro-thin layers of aluminium, polyester, gold, platinum, adhesives and inhibitors.
A number of Tesco Express stores throughout the UK have had solar film installed by Prism and is available in different versions and textures, made from different metals, adhesives and constructions.
This is how one-way mirror films are constructed:
The Benefits of Internal and External Window Film
In the majority of cases, internal window film would be the best solution to install, due to:
- Amount of choices available
- Longevity of the film - up to 20 years
- Warranty length
- Appearance- internal film will not deteriorate through weather conditions and will last longer
In certain instances, external solar window film is the preferred option, for when:
- Accessing the inside of a building, where external installation is the only option – such as instances of high roof-lights obstructing access routes
- Choosing the glass type; as the wrong film installed onto the wrong glass internally could cause the glass to fracture - such as laminated glass or wired glass
Although external film performs similarly to internal film, the warranty and lifespan of the film is not as long, although this does depend on the film used.
‘Before’ and ‘After’ images of internal and external commercial window film installations can be found in our commercial gallery.
Videos on How Window Film Helps
Window Film Case Studies
Explore the various projects that Prism have completed, to understand the different types of film available and the benefits that installation will bring your company:
|Commercial Client Case Study||Type of Window Film Installed||Internal or External Film?|
|Canada Life Insurance||7 Mil Safety Security Film||Internal|
|St Johns CoE Primary School||Silver 20 Solar Film||Internal|
|The National Audit Office||7 Mil Safety Security film||Internal|
|Vehicle Licence Bureau||Silver 20 Solar Film||Internal|
|Playground Games||Sterling 50 Solar Film, Frosted Opaque Film and Graphical Film||Internal|
|John Clements Sports and Community Centre||7 Mil Safety Security Film and External OSW Version||Both|
|Brayley’s Renault Mazda Car Showroom||Silver 20 OSW Solar Film||External|
|Sealed Air||Silver 20 OSW Solar Film||External|
An initial chat over the telephone can determine type of window film that will provide the most benefit and is most appropriate for the glass it’s being installed onto.
Once a discussion has been had, an appointment at your premises can be arranged for a qualified installer to guide you through the process and provide a quotation. At your appointment they will:
- Discuss your options
- Conduct a site-survey
- Show you a swatch-book of film samples to choose from
- Confirm which window film is most appropriate for your windows and doors
- Answer any questions you may have
Installation can then be arranged for a day and time that is most convenient for you and your staff.
Why Choose Prism as Window Film Company?
Installation work is completed to the highest standards and projects are completed on time and to an agreed budget.
We’re dedicated to delivering the best service – we do this by combing professionalism, commitment, honesty and transparency, resulting in an advice service that spans 22 years of experience within the window film industry.
Prism’s value-added service includes:
- Installed by a fully qualified professional
- Complete manufacturer’s warranty
- Extensive range of window film styles, patterns, textures and colours to match your corporate brand
- All installations use the worlds-leading window film manufacturer
- Maintenance free and easy to clean – just wipe with a moist sponge or cloth
- Long life span - up to 20 years - with “once-only” installation
- ‘No business disruption’ installation including out-of-hours and weekend working
- Typically installed within 1 day, although larger commercial applications may take longer
- Rubbish removal – the environment we work in is left as it was, before we started the work
- Access to mobile window film installation equipment, used for heights inside and outside your premises
Are you an architect, looking for the best window film solution for your client?
Prism have worked with a selection of architects, specifiers and facilities management companies including Mitie, Stace, One Facility, Tesco Property, Ashe Construction, Hospitals Trust FM, Help FM and Bowmer and Kirkland. See ‘Before’ and ‘After’ examples of our commercial client work here and associated case studies.
Review our case studies and commercial testimonials to see how we help other clients in various sectors. Alternatively, review our blog posts for helpful insights and tips or dive into our commonly-asked FAQ’s and resources sections.