Window Film: Climate Responsibility and Corporate Sustenance
Inspired by 16 year-old Greta Thunberg’s “School Strike for Climate”, in September 2019 people from all over the world demonstrated against global warming.
As this BBC Science article states “..the more action we all take, the less our climate will change and the more liveable the world will be for ourselves, our progeny and all the rest of the magnificent abundance that is life on earth.”
As businesspeople working within commercial operations, what can we do to help our planet, from a corporate sustenance and sustainability perspective? How can your management teams, staff and customers benefit from window film?
How Does Window Film Help Reduce Energy Used in Commercial Buildings?
When energy-saving window film is fitted to your window glass directly, it forms a barrier to solar energy and ultra-violet (YV) rays, which provides a cheaper option than directly replacing your glass windows, doors and office partitions. You can view examples of commercial installations here.
Commercial solar window film works by reflecting solar energy and UV rays before they enter your commercial establishment. You can substantially reduce your energy usage, carbon footprint and heating costs, as well as provide added security, privacy and health and safety to your staff and customers. Since 2015, interest in window film has grown by 60% online and offers a practical, carbon-free alternative to replacing windows and doors.
Did you know that solar window film helps retail firms, commercial outlets and educational establishments meet climate and governance responsibilities? It can:
- Save energy consumption and reduces heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) expenses, which produce significant levels of GHG emissions
- Save millions of tons of CO2 from entering the atmosphere
- Provide a net-zero carbon footprint, within one year of installation
- Reduce your company’s carbon emissions
- Help control the temperature within your commercial premises
- Protect your office furniture from Sun-glare damage
- Help meet corporate climate sustainability responsibilities
- Insulate summer heat for use in the winter, saving money on energy bills
- Provide a payback within 3 to 5 years, depending on the specification
- Help schools, colleges and universities meet health and safety compliance regulations
“Building Information Modelling” via ROI Payback Scheduling
Prism use “BIM” (building information modeling) to provide an ROI pay-back schedule (tracked to data), to help corporate clients justify window film purchases based on 'Fenestration Energy Analysis’ based on SolarGard’s energy toolbox. Once a consultation is booked, a SolarGard representative will visit your premises (with Prism) to ask important questions so that data can be entered into our software, which then determines the payback period, the energy savings expected and the most appropriate film for your premises.
The resulting data is then presented to the client to help them understand their specific cost savings, using the KW per hour rate they are currently paying their energy supplier and how much of that could be reduced or saved.
During a client consultation, we:
- Ask for their energy costs, including air-con (AC), air handling or air circulation - for the summer and heating costs for the winter.
- We then use those figures to calculate how much heat, once window film is applied, is rejected at the source of the energy - the window.
The air-con becomes more efficient as it’s not running at full capacity, which means it’s more efficient and cheaper to run and can indicate whether a smaller AC unit would be required at a new-build project, instead of a larger system that costs more.
The same applies for winter insulation, as the window film reduces the heat loss through the glass and therefore the heating system is running more efficiently because the heat is not being lost through the glass.
Why SolarGard Window Film?
A pioneer in the window film industry, SolarGard - a leading manufacturer of window film solutions - became the first “building improvement product” company to cut carbon emissions worldwide while being cost-effective and achieve Climate Declaration.
Download SolarGard’s Press Release PDF
In 2014, SolarGard achieved an EPD certification from UL Environment, encompassing 41 architectural window film products. The UL EPD certification mark indicates that UL has independently reviewed and certified the manufacturer’s environmental impact disclosure that constitutes the EPD.
Case Studies of Solar Window Film Projects
Explore the various projects that Prism have completed, to understand the different types of film available and the benefits that installation will bring your company:
|Commercial Client Case Study||Type of Window Film Installed||Internal or External Film?|
|Canada Life Insurance||7 Mil Safety Security Film||Internal|
|St Johns CoE Primary School||Silver 20 Solar Film||Internal|
|The National Audit Office||7 Mil Safety Security film||Internal|
|Vehicle Licence Bureau||Silver 20 Solar Film||Internal|
|Playground Games||Sterling 50 Solar Film, Frosted Opaque Film and Graphical Film||Internal|
|John Clements Sports and Community Centre||7 Mil Safety Security Film and External OSW Version||Both|
|Brayley’s Renault Mazda Car Showroom||Silver 20 OSW Solar Film||External|
|Sealed Air||Silver 20 OSW Solar Film||External|
From a corporate responsibility and governance perspective, Canada Life Insurance wanted assurances that installing window film would give them a ROI payback, which was calculated at 7 years. As window film longevity is for at least 20 years, they can expect a 13 year period of large cost savings. As important, the film offers a net-zero carbon foot-print within 1 year of installation, helping them maintain their governance responsibilities.
Window film is also more effective than blinds that can accrue a build-up of dust, dirt, soot and dead-skin particles, affecting the air and cleanliness for office workers. One of Prism’s clients, Playground Games, benefited by alleviating security concerns by removing the need to regularly close blinds before leaving their offices after work.
Are you a new-build developer or building specifier looking for the right type of window film for your client? Ready to discuss which window film is most appropriate for your own commercial project? Contact us.
If you’re ready to set up an appointment for Prism to conduct a free site-survey, we can provide case study examples and a swatch-book of patterns and designs for you to choose from.
Useful Links on Window Film and Energy Efficiency
- A study on Commercial Cost Savings and Energy Efficiency using Window Film
- An energy study by ConSol on Energy Analysis for Window Films Applications in New and Existing Homes and Offices
- Investing wisely in window film for schools and universities
- Which type of window film best suits your commercial enterprise?
Why Choose Prism as Window Film Company?
Installation work is completed to the highest standards and projects are completed on time and to an agreed budget. Find out more about how we work or review a variety of commercial case studies.
Prism have worked with a selection of architects, specifiers and facilities management companies including Mitie, Stace, One Facility, Tesco Property, Ashe Construction, Hospitals Trust FM, Help FM and Bowmer and Kirkland.
We’re dedicated to delivering the best service – we do this by combing professionalism, commitment, honesty and transparency, resulting in an advice service that spans 22 years of experience within the window film industry.
Prism’s value-added service includes:
- Providing a variety of window film ideas and samples, each containing different metals, layers, base layers and adhesives to suit every client’s needs
- Installed by a fully qualified professional
- Complete manufacturer’s warranty
- Extensive range of window film styles, patterns, textures and colours to match your corporate brand
- All installations use the worlds-leading window film manufacturer
- Maintenance free and easy to clean – just wipe with a moist sponge or cloth
- Long life span - up to 20 years - with “once-only” installation
- ‘No business disruption’ installation including out-of-hours and weekend working
- Typically installed within 1 day, although larger commercial applications may take longer
- Rubbish removal – the environment we work in is left as it was before we started the work
- Access to mobile window film installation equipment, used for heights inside and outside your premises
Review our case studies and commercial testimonials to see how we help other clients in various sectors. To view ‘Before’ and ‘After’ shots of our corporate project work, visit our commercial gallery. Alternatively, review our blog posts for helpful insights and tips or dive into our commonly-asked FAQ’s and resources sections.